Because of the health crisis, millions of people have now been working from home for almost a year, and companies have no choice but to adapt. To simplify this process, many organizations have turned their attention to low-code and no-code application development platforms. According to Business Wire, the future is no code or low code. The expected growth rate for these platforms by 2022 is 44.4%, reaching 27.23 billion US dollars (up from 4.32 billion US dollars in 2017). IDC has reported that by 2023, more than 500 million apps will be developed. That is much more than decades of apps put together! Let us understand the enterprise applications and where low-code and no-code comes in:
What are Enterprise Applications?
Enterprise software applications require software that large enterprises/organizations use to build and run core business functions (such as sales, marketing, supply chain, logistics, business intelligence, and others). They are integrated or interfaced with other application programs to jointly create a larger enterprise system.
Although enterprise applications are designed to serve large organizations, there can be a few obstacles due to the scale of enterprise software. The implementation of enterprise solutions can be lengthy and disruptive, so they require skills and technical expertise to make them work. With the continuous development of digital technologies, it is impossible for companies to achieve success without applications that efficiently and effectively support their internal and external functions. The low code no code definition and development methodologies are aimed to solve these challenges for enterprises, such as
- Bandwidth Issues: Cross-enterprise internal IT teams usually have very little time left to deal with enterprise or client applications.
- Budgetary Constraints: Buying a semi-custom app or hiring a mobile/web app development company can be an expensive affair.
- Faster Go-To-Market: Even with DevOps, the time spent developing applications is still very large. Size, scope and complexity further lead to delayed deployment times almost every time.
What is Low Code or No Code Development?
The benefits of low code platforms and no-code platforms are numerous. It enables companies to develop applications with the help of visual development methods, thereby replacing alternative development routes that require writing tons of lines of code. The following are the main reasons why some companies choose to adopt this approach instead of investing in mature custom application development:
Although low-code application development and no-code software development work best when combined, there are some inherent differences between low code and no code, so they cannot be used interchangeably.
- No code platforms enable teams with zero software development and coding expertise to use functional, reusable building blocks to assemble applications, whereas,
- Low-code platforms are platforms that require a certain degree of coding but make it extremely easy for developers to develop new applications in the shortest turnaround time.
The Best Low Code and No-Code App Development Platforms
When we choose the platforms for rapid application development, the most famous ones are Siemens Mendix, Microsoft PowerApps, Appian, OutSystems, Airtable, Amazon Honeycode, Salesforce.com Lightning Platform, Zapier and Google AppSheet.
However, the industry is constantly evolving. This means that the number one brand today may not enter the list in the next quarter. However, what remains the same is that companies can benefit by using low-code, no-code application development platforms since no code and low code are the future of software application development.
Benefits of Low Code Development and No-Code Application Development Platforms
- Faster Go-To-Market: The biggest advantage is that the development time is shortened from months to weeks or even days. Not only can you bring your application to market faster, one can also quickly process user feedback and add updated features.
- Multiple Deployments: These development platforms allow companies to build applications for multiple platforms at the same time. Low-code, no-code mobile application development makes the task of deploying an application on a platform much easier.
- Reduced Errors: Lesser code equals lesser errors. Moreover, since there are fewer errors in, development time is further reduced.
- Lower Development Costs: Due to the shorter development time, faster speed, and lower resource requirements, the cost of developing low-code and no-code applications is significantly low.
No code and low code are the future of software development. In fact, the future of coding is no coding at all. Soon, more and more enterprises will use no-code and low-code platforms to develop applications, which will provide the required governance for the development of the entire business functions. Although the pandemic is still spreading, low-code and no-code platforms are likely to only become more important as they allow developers and engineers to solve process and workflow problems quickly while working from home. These platforms will now become a more important part of the organization and become a stable tool to improve the efficiency and speed of future development. Hence, the future of low code development and no-code development is full of opportunities. It is also important to note that while these platforms offer many benefits, they will not completely replace traditional programming methods, as complex applications would still require highly skilled developers, who will understand the requirements and functions of the application at the code line level.
Pratiti Technologies is a leading product development company with rich expertise in building enterprise applications using the best low code no-code platforms that are being used by businesses in various industries to develop software without writing little or no code. We are a unique Digital product company that enables innovation-driven digital transformation for its customers, enterprises and other software product companies. We possess deep expertise in digital technologies such as Cloud Computing, Edge Computing, Data Science & Analytics as well as AR/VR. We help customers with advanced architectures in IoT and Digital Twin to enable organizations to realize innovation in their digital transformation journey.